We all know about Harvest Moon, right? There have been countless releases of this great series. For me it began with the original Harvest Moon for the SNES - I loved to plow and make an obstacle course for my horse, pushed my cows outside when the weather allowed me to do so and I took my yellow dog anywhere. Of course, there were also a ton of crops, believe me. It wasn't just a zoo filled with farm animals.

Harvest Moon for SNES

Another favorite of mine is Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town for Game Boy Advance. I have played this game several times, just like the original Harvest Moon for the SNES. I didn't enjoy the newer Harvest Moon games so much. I have played all the older games, but I have skipped my way through some of the newer ones. I think 2D works better for games like these, compared to 3D versions. The charm of the earlier versions of Harvest Moon in 2D was it's simplicity, in my opinion.

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town for GBA

"Why this random blog post on Harvest Moon, Soraya?" you might ask yourself now. Well, there's a reason behind it, actually - there are two reasons for me to blog about it! Recently Stardew Valley was released for the PC (only available through Steam), and this game looks very much like Harvest Moon. Now there are many more games that look a lot like Harvest Moon, just like many Rune Factory games that were released over the years but never were very popular in the Netherlands.

In Rune Factory you're supposed to not only grow crops but also finish missions and kill monsters in one of the many dungeons to earn money. Of course that's a nice bonus for this kind of game, and it sounded like music to my ears, but I still like Harvest Moon more. I do not know what it is, but sometimes you just do not need to feel like a super hero by killing monsters and you just want a simple game where growing crops is your main concern.

Rune Factory: Frontier for Wii

The other reason is that I'm thinking about writing reviews on more oldschool games. I am a big fan of old games (mainly SNES games) and I'd like to introduce you to super cool retro games that really are worth playing.

Stardew Valley for PC

Anyways, back to Stardew Valley - I have not played this game yet, but it certainly looks very nice! On the one hand I want to go buy it and game till I drop, but on the other hand, I think; does that kind of game work well on a PC? Will there be too many options? I really do not know, but I'm sure it's worth a try.

And now I wrote this whole blog post on Harvest Moon, I really looking forward to play one of the games, haha!